WT&S, W. Tonks & Sons, 3, Hill Street, woodscrew maker (S1770) then 43 Deritend, steel toy maker (PR1780), Cheapside, Birmingham, then 201, Moseley Street, Birmingham making cast and wrought brass products. Manufacturer of architectural hardware, art metalware, campaign metalware, ecclesiastical metalwork and an early fabricator of decorative patterned tubes. The Tonks family surname is the lists of Birmingham brassfounders before the 1800s. William Tonks founded this firm in 1789 (or 1794?). They won gold medals at the 1851 and 1862 Exhibitions in London and in 1855 at Paris The larger factory in Moseley Street was opened in the early 1860s and most items now found will date from after this time.
(By 1869 they had developed the eight-pointed 'sun' trade mark showing two eyes and a mouth. Later the 'WT&S' initials were sometimes inserted instead for the marks on some items but other items had a smaller, empty sun on items designed in the 1900s. Their 1890 catalogue was of 664 pages detailing a vast array of builders hardware and domestic items. Later production included the more appealing domestic designs. The name was changed to Tonks (Birmingham) Ltd., then by merger to Newman Tonks in 1970, then NT Metals. They are now in the Ingersoll-Rand Group (from 1995).
Thanks to www.Oldcopper.org for the information